Diwali crackers: The chemicals and its effects will shock you!

Diwali crackers: The chemicals and its effects will shock you!

Diwali (Deepavali) is an Indian festival celebrated by lighting lamps, distributing sweets and bursting crackers. By tradition, homes are lit with clay lamps, candles, fairy lights, and firecrackers light the sky as people rejoice in the festival.

Over the years, the bursting of fire crackers have reached high noise levels and air pollution during Diwali. Let us have a look at the various toxic chemicals, increasing levels of pollution and the methods to celebrate eco-friendly Diwali.

Heavy smog hangs low in the air on Diwali night and a few days after that. The levels of sulphur nitrates, magnesium, nitrogen dioxide increase, and these chemicals are injurious to our respiratory passages. Diwali can be potentially fatal to asthamatics.

The various chemicals in fireworks and their effects –

Sulfur dioxide: Causes wheezing and shortness of breath.

Cadmium: Can cause anemia and damage to kidney and also affect the nervous system.

Copper: Irritates respiratory tract

Lead: Affects the nervous system

Magnesium: Can cause metal fume fever

Nitrate: Can cause mental impairment

Nitrite: Can cause skin problems, eye irritation, and respiratory problems in children.

Related Stories

The Northeast Today
www.thenortheasttoday.com