HC upholds custody for Tripura PCC President in double murder case

HC upholds custody for Tripura PCC President in double murder case

AGARTALA: The Tripura High Court on Monday upheld the decision of a local court of Tripura where Congress MLA and incumbent Congress president Birajit Sinha was given three months custody for violating the Arms Act in double murder case. The court also extended 30 days for Birajit to surrender before the trial court.

A court of Unakoti District in 2013 awarded him three months' imprisonment with a fine of Rs. 1,000 for violating the Arms Act in a double-murder case on July 20, 2004.

It may be recalled that a major clash and firing occurred between opposition Congress and ruling CPI (M) supporters at Babur Bazar in Tripura's North District during the by-elections of Gram Panchayat on July, 2004. One CPI-M activist Abdul Hannan and Birajit Sinha's personal security guard Nikhil Deb were killed in the firing.

Sinha was accused of carrying a licensed pistol with additional cartridges than the required number that day. Counter firing was also reportedly done from his own pistol.

However, Congress sources said that, Birajit was attacked by some angry mob during the by-elections in Kailasahar. While protecting him, his security personnel was killed in the firing.

The court also sentenced slain CPI-M activist Abdul Hannan's father Abdul Rahman to two and half year and imposed a fine of Rs.2,000 for provoking the mob on the incident day.

Both Birajit and Abdul Rahman filed complaints against each other at the police station and the case continued till last nine years.

Pijush Kanti Biswas has moved the case in favour of Birajit Sinha. However, Birajit Sinha would move the Supreme Court centering the case.
Sources said that Birajit Sinha is currently in New Delhi for treatment purpose. His lawyer Pijush Kanti Biswas also would leave for New Delhi by day after tomorrow likely to discuss about their preparations for taking the case to the apex court.

Congress' Legal Cell chairman Pijush Kanti Biswas said that, "Though the HC has upheld the lower court's decision of Sinha's three month custody, the court admitted that it was the CPI (M) who first attacked Birajit Sinha. It is not expected to defame public figure of Sinha. We will soon appeal before the Supreme Court."

However the Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) on Monday claimed that, Congress president Birajit Sinha was not sentenced three months jail custody for the violation of administrative order as passed by the then District Magistrate of North District.

"Mr. Sinha has the permission to have at least 50 rounds of bullets, but he could not carry more than 12 bullets with him when he is moving. On the incident day, he had carried total 17 cartridges. That's why, he was given jail custody. It has nothing to do with Arms Violation Act," Leader of Opposition Sudip Roy Barman told the reporters at Congress Bhawan this evening.

Related Stories

The Northeast Today