- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
KOHIMA, December 26, 2018: A blazing inferno swept through Ura Villa Colony here on Saturday evening, razing at least 31 houses. The fire was reportedly caused by a short circuit.
Fire Brigade assistant sub-inspector Pumo Hayang Chang, who was in-charge at the time of the incident, told Nagaland Post that the department received a telephone call around 4:07 p.m. about the fire, adding fire tenders reached the spot around 4:14 p.m.
He said four fire tenders from Dimapur station were pressed into service to extinguish the fire.
The fire gutted 31 CGI (corrugated galvanised iron)-roofed hutments, destroying goods worth Rs 40 lakh approximately. No casualties were reported.
Speaking to this reporter, Ura Villa Colony gaon burah Chemri and chairman Tsükmen Santam said the fire was brought under control, thereby preventing it from spreading further, due to the timely intervention of the fire brigade personnel.
They also expressed their gratitude to the colony members and well wishers who came forward to extend their helping hand and support during the time of need.
Jagannath Seva Samiti Utkal Samaj, Dimapur also came forward to extend support by providing meals to the fire victims.