- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
United Democratic Party (UDP) leader Jemino Mawthoh, on Wednesday, rubbished allegations of the Nongthymmai Block Congress Committee (NBCC), which had stated that Mawthoh wrongly took credit for the Nongrah Water Supply Scheme.
“What is there to take credit? What we have been doing is all there for the public to see. There are documents for it,” Mawthoh, also the former legislator of Shillong’s Nongthymmai constituency, told TNT-The Northeast Today.
“The Congress is just playing to the gallery all the time,” he added.
NBCC President Bawan Khyriem had earlier said that Mawthoh was wrongly stating facts and that the water scheme was proposed in 2012 by the then assembly speaker and senior Congress leader, Charles Pyngrope, for the localities of Nongrah, Mawlynrei, Sohryngkham and Umpling.
When contacted, Congress legislator from Nongthymmai, Charles Pyngrope told TNT-The Northeast Today that there is nothing much to add to this claim.
"All I want to say is that it is very well known who started the project,” Pyngrope said adding that the project was sanctioned in 2017 during the tenure of the Congress government.
Earlier, on December 4, Mawthoh had stated that when Pyngrope was the MLA for almost a decade, prior to his tenure as a speaker, “nothing came out of” the scheme.
“When I became the MLA, I pursued and the PHE finally approved the scheme on March 31, 2017,” Mawthoh had stated.
(Edited by Anirban Paul)