Meghalaya: Woman attacked with hammer & machete in Shillong; no arrests made

Meghalaya: Woman attacked with hammer & machete in Shillong; no arrests made

By Our Correspondent, TNT News | SHILLONG, Jan 15, 2018:

In an unfortunate incident, a woman from Shillong was brutally attacked following an argument with another woman at Polo while she was returning home from the market here on the evening of January 9.

Sources informed that on January 9 at around 9.30 pm, a woman identified as Syrpailin Daju, resident of Nongmynsong was returning home after purchasing vegetables from Polo market when suddenly another woman identified as Storen Kharjana, resident of Pynthor stamped on her foot. When the victim confronted her, the accused  raised her hands and beat her up black and blue.

It was alleged that the altercation took an ugly turn when two more young men and three women (said to be the accused's sons and daughters) arrived at the spot with sharp weapons like hammer, iron rod and dao (machete) and started using the same to inflict pain on the victim.

Sources informed that despite her attempts to call out for help, the passersby did not come to her rescue but were mute spectators. She, somehow, managed to snatch their weapons and throw it in the river.

Apart from being assaulted in a public place, the woman was also robbed of Rs 10,000 and gold jewelleries (earrings & necklace) that she was wearing.

An FIR was lodged by the victim the next day and according to the FIR, the victim reported that the accused's sons and three daughters attacked her with an objective of killing her and throwing her from the bridge into the Umkhrah river.

The victim is currently undergoing treatment at Shillong Civil Hospital.

Meanwhile, another FIR was filed against the accused woman on Jan 10 by a witness who claimed that she saw the whole incident and tried to stop the attackers. Later, when she took the victim to Civil Hospital, she reported that the accused came up to her and threatened her with dire consequences.

"I am very afraid now. I can't move freely because such incident can happen at any time," the eye-witness said in her FIR.

Meanwhile, despite the fact that the FIRs were filed days ago, no action has been taken against the accused persons till date. When contacted, police were not available for comments.


Related Stories

The Northeast Today