- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
Tura, May 6: A total of about four shops were gutted in a fire that broke out early this morning near the old Cinema Hall area of the town of Williamnagar in East Garo Hills. While no one was injured in the incident due to the quick reaction of the fire service department, losses to the tune of thousands were incurred by the owners of the shops that were gutted.
While details of how exactly the fire broke out are still hazy, sources pointed to a short circuit in one of the shops located near the tri-junction that leads up to Samgong area of the town.
Locals said that the fire spread quickly due to the close proximity of the shops to one another. Most of the shops destroyed were apparently grocery shops.
Things could have been worse said some if not for the quick action of the fire brigade which reached the spot and doused the flames.
Authorities however are also looking at whether the fire could have been due to an unregistered power connection at one of the shops.