Manipur: 6 years on, teen murdered by Manipur CM Biren Singh’s son awaits justice!

Manipur: 6 years on, teen murdered by Manipur CM Biren Singh’s son awaits justice!

Imphal, May 19, 2017: Chitra Devi, 56, can't stop her tears as she narrates how son of a powerful politician destroyed her life. She along with her husband flew all the way from Manipur to try and meet the Prime Minister on Thursday.

The family has submitted a memorandum with the PMO, seeking justice. Irom Roger, 19, was murdered by Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh's son in a "fit of rage" during Holi in 2011. Roger didn't allow N Ajay's SUV to overtake on Tiddim Road on the fateful day in Imphal. Ajay shot Roger and he died on way to the hospital.

The then state cabinet had recommended a CBI probe following local protests. Following investigation, CBI had filed its chargesheet against prime accused and charges were framed in June 2012 by the special CBI court.


When the crime took place, Biren Singh was then a Congress minister under CM Ibobi Singh's rule. A local court in January 2017 had awarded Ajay a five-year jail term.

The CM's son has made an appeal before the HC challenging the quantum of sentence while the CBI didn't go for any appeal. But the victim's family has alleged that no lawyer in Manipur was ready to stand for them. When activists arranged lawyer Utsav Singh Bains from SC, they claimed he was being threatened by various underground groups.

Birjit, a relative of the family was picked up from his house in the middle of the night three days ago. Chitra Devi told India Today, "My lawyer was picked up from airport by Birjit who is my relative. Three days ago, he was arrested by Manipur Police Commandos, saying he was a Maoist. I am scared after Birjit's  arrest. Two police vehicles are always parked near my house in Imphal. I'm very afraid. I want justice and I have struggled a lot. My family life is finished, everything is lost." Bina Laxmi, a social activist, said even she is feeling threatened as she is among the very few who have came forward to help Chitra.

"They are trying to put pressure on us. They are doing everything to stop us. Here a mother is fighting for justice for her murdered son," she said. Earlier this month, Bains had written a letter to the Union home secretary to provide him with adequate security after the threat call. Now, the family along with some human rights activists have decided to sit in dharna at India Gate till their plea is heard by the Centre.

Image Courtesy: The Sangai Express

Related Stories

The Northeast Today