Why flying could get better for the Northeast!
Union Aviation Minister, Ashok Gajapathi Raju proposed a slew of new concessions for air passengers.
Here is what the most interesting 5 would mean for the Northeast –
- Given that many people across the Northeast have to travel long-distances to reach the closest airport "in case flight cancellations are announced within 24 hours of departure, compensation amount should be increased to up to Rs. 10,000"
- Rejoice students! And people from the Northeast staying and working across the country! Suitcases packed with dried meat, pickles, bamboo shoot, turmeric and a whole lot of other yummy things weigh a tonne so it's good to know that "flyers will not have to pay more than Rs. 100 per kg for the first 5 kg of excess baggage"
- Plans change! Especially with all the bandhs and road blockades in the Northeast so it's good that the proposal includes "ticket cancellation amount cannot exceed basic fare and there shall be no additional charge to process the refund"
- Given the weather in the Northeast, the consequence of which is frequent cancellation of flights, it is brilliant that this point is being considered – "if the replacement flight is within 24 hours, the airline will have to pay a compensation of 200 per cent of the base fare or Rs. 10,000 whichever is less. If the alternative flight is beyond 24 hours, then the compensation will be 400 per cent of the base fare or Rs. 20,000 whichever is less.
- And while this is not particularly Northeast-specific , hurray to the proposal that "refunds to be applicable on all fares including promotional and special fares"