Nagaland: NIA stumbles upon evidence of Zeliang’s involvement in terror funding case

Nagaland: NIA stumbles upon evidence of Zeliang’s involvement in terror funding case
Kohima | March 19, 2018
Beleaguered former chief minister and senior NPF leader, T.R. Zeliang seems to be heading towards a fresh round of trouble after revelations that National Investigation Agency (NIA) has stumbled upon documentary evidence indicating his involvement in a terror funding case, according to a report in The Asian Age.
The newspaper quoted security sources as having said that though Zeliang refused to appear before the agency to clarify his position, he would have to appear for cross-examination.
Pointing out that NIA was in possession of glaring evidence indicating his direct involvement in siphoning of government funds and facilitating it to NSCN (K), security sources said Zeliang had sent a written reply through his advocate to NIA, but it was not enough, the newspaper reported.
Stating that NIA sleuths had recovered documents signed by the former chief minister to facilitate fund for NSCN (K), security sources said Zeliang, who was now leader of Opposition in the State Assembly, had sought another date for appearing before the agency.
As reported earlier, Zeliang's advocate, in a written reply to NIA, had clarified that he had nothing to do with siphoning of government funds to NSCN (K) or any other outfit. He had also claimed that if government departments had been doing so, he was unaware and that had it been brought to his knowledge he would have put an end to it.
The Asian Age, however, quoted sources as having claimed that NIA probe had revealed that government funds were released on written approval of then chief minister.
The investigation agency had summoned Zeliang to its New Delhi office on Tuesday. After he expressed his inability to be present due to ongoing Assembly session, the NIA then changed the date to Saturday.
Just before the Assembly election in February, the NIA had summoned three officials from chief minister's office to Guwahati. Two days before the election results were announced, one of these officers was also summoned to New Delhi again.
Source: Nagaland Post

Related Stories

The Northeast Today