Nagaland govt opt for CBI probe into mob lynching act

Nagaland govt opt for CBI probe into mob lynching act

TNT News

KOHIMA: The Nagaland government today submitted an affidavit before the Gauhati High Court saying that it has sought CBI's help to investigate the case in connection to the forceful breaking of central jail and killing of a rape accused on March 5 at Dimapur.

A letter sent by Nagaland home commissioner Neihu C Thur to the CBI director on March 21 last was too enclosed with it. It said, "Considering the widespread attention generated by the incident nationally and internationally and demands from various organisations and taking into the consideration to the large number of people involved in it and the nature of its complexity, the Nagaland government has decided to hand over the case to CBI."

Rajib Kalita, a HC advocate filed a PIL seeking its directive for a CBI investigation into the lynching incident. The agency however yet to take its position on the demand, he said.

Already special investigation teams (SIT) are investigating at least three cases under gazette officers besides a judicial probe.

So far 58 persons were arrested for their involvement in different nature of crime during the incident. Police have also circulated 'look out' notice for some 32 others.

The Nagaland government, however, rejected transfering non-Naga prisoners to other jails in Assam.

On March 5, an undertrial rape accused Syed Farid Khan was forcefully taken out from the Dimapur central jail by an angry mob of thousands including students who made him parade naked before he was lynched.

Related Stories

The Northeast Today
thenortheasttoday.com