- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
U Tirot Sing Syiem to Rani Gaidinliu, the length and breadth of the Northeast region is home to warriors of the past. Today, on his 148 death anniversary, we look into facts about Pa Togan Sangma, also known as Togan Sangma or Pa Togan Nengminja Sangma.
Here are some facts you need to know about Pa Togan Nengminja.
1. Pa Togan Nengminja was a brave A·chik warrior. Born in the village of Samanda near Williamnagar, East Garo Hills, Meghalaya. He has often been compared to the Philistine warrior ‘Goliath’.
2. In the year 1872 some British soldiers entered Garo Hills and set up camp in a village named “Matcha Rongkrek” which is near Chiso Bibra (originally “Sisobibra”-dying junction, for he died here).
3. Pa Togan Nengminja and other Garo warriors conducted a stealth attack on the British soldiers while they were sleeping. Troops belonging to the Garo legend met the British troops at Rongrenggiri. Roused from sleep by the cries of their comrades, the remaining British soldiers retaliated.
4. It was a one-sided affair, as the Garo warriors were ill-equipped. They suffered heavy losses and Pa Togan Nengminja died on the spot, succumbing to a barrage of bullets.
5. Pa Togan Nengminja fought and died for his own motherland and community. This brave warrior is remembered by the people of Garo Hills and the state on December 12 every year.