- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
The National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam published in August last year was only a “supplementary list” and the final document is yet to come out, state coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma told the Gauhati High Court.
In the “supplementary list” of the NRC, over 10,000 names were either wrongly included or excluded and necessary orders have been issued to delete nearly 4,800 “ineligible persons” from the document, Sarma said in an affidavit to the high court.
The final NRC was released on August 31, 2019 by excluding names of 19,06,657 persons. A total of 3,11,21,004 names were included out of 3,30,27,661 applicants.
The affidavit was submitted as per an order by the Gauhati High Court in relation to a writ petition by one Rahima Begam against a Nalbari district Foreigners’ Tribunal order, declaring her a foreigner.
“... the Supplementary NRC was already published by the LRCPs on 31st August 2019, but the final National Register of Citizens is yet to be published by the Registrar General of India as per Clause 7 of the Schedule of the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003,” it said.
On the other hand, a large number of original inhabitants were left out from the draft NRC and some of them did not even submit their claims petitions in the later stages, he added.
Sarma said the matching of ‘Family Tree’, which would have been a full-proof method, was not carried out with due diligence most times.
Though the final NRC was made public last year, it has not been notified by the Registrar General of India yet. This leaves the historic and controversial document with no official validity.
After the publication of the final NRC, almost all stakeholders and political parties criticized it as a faulty document, alleging exclusion of indigenous people and inclusion of illegal migrants. (PTI)