Renaissance of the Khasi Community: Seng Kut Snem
Shillong | November 23,2019
The 23rd November is penned down in the history as "Ka SENG KUT SNEM" to commenmorate the Renaissance and awakening of the Khasi Community
Here are 5 facts you need to know about Seng Kut Snem
- 120 years ago, On Nov 23, 1899, 16 Young men formed the Seng Khasi, an organisation that stood up and led the community against the oppression of the British & later, the Association was renamed as Seng Khasi.
- This day marks the beginning of rhe movement for preserving & conserving the uniqueness of Khasi belief, tradition & culture.
- The three tenets & Principles of Khasi thoughts; "Tipbriew Tip Blei" , "Tip Kur Tip Kha" and "Kamai Ia Ka Hok".
- On this day, Shillong streets wear a festive look as people dance to the sounds of drums while chanting the traditional cry "Hoii Kiw"
- The festival is marked by Prayers invoking God's Blessings, speeches ,songs & also include cultural Programmes