- Current Affairs
- Entertainment and Lifestyle
1. The living bridges are made from the secondary roots of the Ficus elastica tree, whose roots grow above the ground surface.
2. This living root bridge is over 500 years old and can accommodate 50 people at once. They are still used by the War-Khasis. There are 11 functional root bridges situated in Cherrapunjee.
3. It takes around 10-15 years to grow & turn them into a bridge and they get stronger with years.
4. The Khasis apply science while crafting the roots into a brigde using natural resources like twines or tree trunks.
5. The Umshiang Double-Decker Root Bridge is a combination of two bridges, one stacked on top of the other.